Monday, 9 July 2012

What's it for this boat?

There has to be a reason to build a boat.  Wanting to build it - the challenge and the pastime  - are a reason of sorts, but what is the boat's reason?  What does it (will it) exist for?  To show off my art.  Hardly - I will be happy if it is workmanlike, true and looks good from a distance.  I mean rather what is it for?

Well...  I live in Stockholm, and i like to sail.  I have a boat, but it's an hour away from home so sailing is for weekends and holidays.  So something easy to climb into and sail away of an evening, and something that could take a tent, a sleeping bag and a stove and take me out among the islands for a weekend break, by way of a change.  Something to sail single-handed, or with a crew.  Not too tippy (for the crew) and safe to be out in when the water is cold and the nearest shore half a mile away.

Lastly, as the wind has a tendency to drop to nothing in the evenings, it should be nice to row.  To get me home, or just to take some exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment