Today I decided that if I am going to spend half a year building a boat then it could be good to have a record of the project - something to look back on in my dotage... hence this. But in fact the idea has in some small way already started to take form.
I know what boat I am going to build - an Ian Oughted design - the Tammie Norrie. I thought about one of his double-enders - which look very Scandinavian and would probably have better sea keeping properties, but the Tammie Norrie seems to fit the bill and is a bit more English. In my eyes. By repute it sails and rows well, and it should be small enough to recover on my own - and not too small for exploring among the islands.
..and, just to keep me quiet over the summer, I bought Ian's book as well. Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual. I picked it up from the post today and have already skimmed my way through the first third. I suspect it will be well thumbed in a few months from now!
The book is actually the first thing bought with the specific intention of building a boat...
No comments:
Post a Comment