A good while back I discovered stitch and glue. So long ago in fact I'd almost forgotten that we built a mirror dinghy at school way back in the days of yore. Since then, at various times I've dabbled with epoxy and glass fibre... repairing my old sailing dinghy, helping build a console and glass in fuel tanks on a RIB, and small repairs on Mata Hari. So, when I re-discovered stitch and glue as a way of boatbuilding I thought - hej, I can do that.
As for wood working, my school report as I recall had good things to say about my attention to detail - which I remember as 'never got things finished'. Since then woodworking has been confined to minor repairs around the house.. I know the right end of a chisel, and I also know I need to be better at sharpening them. And I have a feeling that in the intervening years that that attention to detail may have slipped away a bit.
Evenso, having looked around a bit more I found clinker ply construction.. and I just love the results. A bit more demanding than stitch and glue, but it can't be impossible can it?
The road to Rome gets there one step at a time, there is a garage first to practise on so I think I will get there when the time comes, and at least I have been preparing. With a certain foresight I recently bought a workbench on Tradera (Swedish e-bay), and I keep looking out for interesting tools that may come in handy...
No comments:
Post a Comment