Among the paperwork in the plans is a material list for the hull... a list of wood in different sizes to make the build. It gives a first chance to look at a costing.
So armed with the list and excel I went poking round for prices on the Pontus Snickeri webside - from what I can see my best and nearest choice for boatbuilding timber. It is an interesting challenge trying to match up the planned dimensions to the stock they keep -not least as I don't yet know what type of timber I want for the different parts. I want to try to keep a more european feel - rather than just building in exotic hardwood - but what that means I haven't decided yet.
So... what I have now is a spreadsheet that lets me do 'what if' and change the choice of material for each piece and get a a total cost. There is a fudge factor built in as there will be extra costs for cutting the material down to get the sizes I want (or I have to buy more than I need).
Anyway - on my current list the total comes out around 16 000 Kronor (£1500)- excluding the spars, sails, fittings, and material for the rudder and centreboard.
Interestingly, the material for the moulds and the planking is not far short of the price of a kit from Jordans - mraning price is not a big disincentive to buying a kit to get me off to a quick start...
Next is to try and cost the spars and the main fittings.
No comments:
Post a Comment